Friday, September 5, 2008

May I please come in Teacher...

She would just blankly stare at me from the corner of her eye, without turning her face to the door of a class labeled Infant A. Her stare making me feel as if its a crime to go to the toilet in between two subsequent classes. I thought the way she is looking at me I might have to go run back to the toilet. I could only see one of her eye, imagine what would have happened if she turned her head towards the door. Thank God she is lazy enough not to bother her neck too much.
She did say nothing, all I heard was HMMM... Was that hmmm... allowing me to come in or was that hmm... asking me to explain her where the hell was I when she came to the class. (She was not there when teacher from the previous class allowed me to go.) I was totally perplexed. I just looked sideways to my left where we had a small zoo with few white, black and grey rabbits, few colorful birds and few tortoise. May be I can extract some courage from them, so what they are in cages as well, they dont have to ask anyone to attend to innumerable nature's calls. My left arm was almost a part of my body with tightly holding my skirt as if it will fall down. And my right arm still held high at 90 degree straight. It formed a perfect posture for the army of "hail Mogambo". Remember "HAIL MOGAMBO...." from the film Mr. India. I am sure all my friends from St. Marys' School , Udaipur be able to relate to my story.
Well.. I was still in the state of absolute delimma trying to figure out should I go in or should I explain her where was I, who allowed me to go, what was I doing for so long. I searched for my desk which was 4th in the 3rd row. But some how it appeared to be miles away since I had to cross her desk to reach to my place.
I wish I was a Ginni who could just close her eye, tinkle her nose and re-appear wherever I wish to be. But trust me if I were one, my desk would have be the last choice, I would have rather gone to the see-saw, slides and swings which were right in front of toilets. (remember girls).
I gathered all my courage, right arm still held high and rushed to my desk, I decided not to tell her anything. Guess what she did not even see me, may be I was not tall enough to be seen by her right across her desk.
Let me tell you I was shortest in my class and in all my classes to follow. I was the one always leading our class line formation, whether it was to go to playground or dance class or PT. I felt elated and was extremely happy since I did not have to hold anyone's skirt in front of me. Ya, thats how our class used to to be lead. Even sheeps dont have to hold tails of their companion. May be they are born disciplined. Well, I am still happy not because I dont have to hold anyone's skirt but because I always make people around me feel taller. Isn't that great to make people feel better.
Happy Teacher's Day to you all lovely people out there. Ever wondered, how many people have such memorable stories from their school. I have, you must have, most of us have. But not everyone. My 6 year old laundry boy who comes to collect clothes wont have any and many more.
Wheres the Ginni ????

5 comments:

Namrata said...

this is the sweetest & cutest description of the most un-noticed yet the most unforgetable moment of our school life....i wish i cud get my childhood days back.....my St. Patrick's School...
:(

Chanakya said...

hey...kya baat hai..another one...wow.

I dont remember my infant days but I can relate to yours. Instead of skirts we had shirts/shorts...

Unknown said...

hahaha...those schools days! My mom used to get a complain everyday! Her being a teacher in the school never helped me escape the punishments!

The_Tusker said...

that's wonderful anjali!

the stream of thoughts that run thru a tiny tottler in an otherwise considered an ordinary situation comes out very well..

quit looking for a 9-to-5er and go ahead on these lines. :)

Unknown said...

hey anjali i should praise your amazing way of putting thoughts into words. great use of phrases, expression .
i believe most of us must have gone through similar kind situation during our schooldays . for many(including me) it was also the best way to take short breaks apart from regular lunch intervals